Re: Feeding the trolls (Suggestion)

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 20:20, David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 19:16 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > What ATrpms really lacks (as most 3rd party repos other than
> > PlanetCCRMA) is some decent documenation. There are plans to aid in
> > this direction, but time is limited :(
>
> And you really think that people will actually read documentation? -;)
> My belief in the tooth fairy is more pragmatic. Count the number of
> inquiries posted here that are answered in the release notes.

Yes you are right, But sometimes the Famous Release Notes are also very vague
on standard issues.
Besides if the documentation is short and well written and to the point, (i.e.
to install X do this step 1...) it will be read, the 400 + users on this list
besides the moderators and selected individuals, are here because going to
tldp and reading a 600 page online manual leaves you in the dark about
how-to. Look at samba for example. I read that one yes. and still could not
work out what had to be done to setup a file share, to this day my methods of
doing it are bashed and beaten by other gurus, yet I setup these every day
and they work. The point is I learnt how but combining solutions from the
list.
If doc were properly written, they would be read.
Just remember, manuals don't help newbies, newbies need quich tutorials, even
how-tos are to long and lengthy.

I have switch from one flavour to the next and the basics across the board are
the same. We should write genric quick steps. not documentation now that I
think about it.

Anyway my 2c
cheers

OH and Axel, I did try your nvidia rpms but could not get them installed
because I still have the stock FC3 Kernel installed and your RPMS depend on
the NEW one. Where are the old rpms?

--
Chadley Wilson
Redhat Certified Technician