Re: syslogd stops functioning after logrotate?

Peter Smith wrote:

Paul Howarth wrote:

/etc/logrotate.d/syslog specifies a postrotate action for:

/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure
/var/log/maillog
/var/log/spooler
/var/log/boot.log
/var/log/cron

of:

/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true

Does yours have this?

Does /var/run/syslogd.pid have the right process ID for syslog?

I checked already and yes syslogd.pid does have the right process ID and the logrotate.d does have the HUP correctly. I think it is specific to the compress being on and/or the rotate 999 being set.

Peter

I think it might be possible that SELinux is disallowing logrotate from sending the correct HUP, etc, signals to the threads that are having their logs rotated.. It continues to happen.

Peter