Re: nvidia and xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:58:41AM -0500, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:56:54AM +0100, Przemyslaw Gawronski wrote:
> >> Hi Fedora users
> >>
> >> The subject of nvidia driver was up several times. I've managed to
> >> install it correctly according to sugestions given on the list.
> >>
> >> But, one of the steps was to uninstall xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL rpm.
> >
> > No, please don't do that. Use the packages at ATrpms.net that don't
> > require you to blast holes into your rpm database ;)
> >
> > http://ATrpms.net/name/nvidia-graphics/
> >
> > The packages coexist nicely with Mesa.
> >
> >> When ever I update my system with yum this package gets
> >> installed. So I have to uninstall it manually and install nvidia
> >> driver again.
> >>
> >> How do other nvidia users deal with this ?
>
> I just tried installing nvidia-graphics using the new smart.  I did smart
> install nvidia-graphics.  It grabbed all the correct packages.  +5 for
> correctly handling my x86_64.  +5 more for picking the right kernel mod.
> Everything installed perfectly.  I believe we are on the dawn of a new era.
> This could be one of the killer apps.
>
> Just one little question.  What is the recommended procedure to update my
> kernel nvidia mod using smart with atrpms?

The issue with kernel modules (or in fact any plugin like package) is
that is carries two versions, one for itself and one for the carrier
package (in this case the kernel).

This means that you have a two-dimensional configuration space which
cannot be completly ordered by rpm's is-newer-than operation. You have
to choose one axis for doing partial ordering.

What makes sense for kernel modules is to have them ordered in their
version for each kernel installed. This means that updated to kernel
module foo fro version 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 will update kernel module foo
for all your installed kernel/kernel modules, but updates from kernel
X to kernel Y will neew "new" installs of kernel module foo.

IMHO none of the resolvers can cope with that really (there are lua
scripts by Panu to do that with apt, though). The workaround is to use
the following few lines whenever you update the kernel to replicate
the required kernel modules (for apt-get, similar for smart/yum etc):

OLD=2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp
NEW=2.6.9-1.724_FC3smp
rpm -qa --qf '%{name} ' \*kmdl\*${OLD}\* | sed -e"s,$OLD,$NEW,g" | xargs apt-get -y install

(the above will not work yet as the packages for 2.6.9-1.724_FC3 have
not yet been uploaded)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net