Re: Fedora on servers

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

Truly Wow then.. I didn't know you could bind all 4 and get a large
throughtput. But hey, doesn't that mean that you would need a GiG Switch
to realise that speeds or is it that it means 4 diff RJ45s into 4 diff
ports on the switch? I think that's it.

The technique used 4 ports on a switch. That was back when Gig switches cost as much as a late model used car. Folks used 100mbps switches instead and used port aggregation to boost performance.

Some ppl argue that software RAID, (not via BIOS) but via LInux Software
RAID is a good _enough_ alternative for something like a small SMB
server.

This almost qualifies as a philosophical issue. If your data is important, then you want to protect it. Hardware RAID is the best protection you can get. The data on the drives is owned by the controller, not the O/S. The controllers firmware is relatively immune to corruption, and consequently isn't as vulnerable to a glitch as what the O/S provides. Hardware raid has been perfected over the years and its as bullet proof as anything can be in the computer business. Software raid may be good too, but hardware raid is simply better IMHO.

What's thei buffer? Is the the RAM? I've not seen any options for 32k.
(only like 16MB/32MB/64MB)

Sorry - I meant 32M of RAM. I haven't seen a mobo with any more than 32M, but if more were available, I wouldn't use it because 32M gives me the 1024x768 at max color depth I need to run a descent X server. The 8M default that I've seen is incompatible with an X server, and lots of folks on this list with X problems can probably trace it back to not having set up their BIOS appropriately BEFORE installing the O/S.

You might have just won me over with that statement. (at least for SMB
servers)

Intel messed up big time, in my opinion, when they put a flawed product on the market allowing and even forcing folks to use an alternative. Its to AMD's credit that they had that alternative waiting. Now, I use either manufacturer interchangeably relying on whatever criteria is important - Money, performance, client preference, etc.

Bill