Re: booting with grub to /dev/sda

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 23:45, Jim Cromie wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >
> >I believe that what's missing is that you don't have USB support
> >compiled into the kernel and not as modules.
> >
> >I've done it before and it's do-able.
> >

> I should clarify.  Ive tried 2 different means to my end.
>
> 1. booting my laptop, using grub on hda to pull kernel from sda, and
> mount it as root.
> Grub is not seeing the drive, whether thats cuz my laptop BIOS wont show
> it, OR
> cuz grub is unable to use it.   Naturally, the question is which ?

One MSG shows you to put sda into device.map. Did you try that already?
Can your laptop boot directly from USB?

But I believe that Grub should be able to do it, it's just sort of like
a pointer that "points" where it should boot from.

> 2. booting my dads computer directly from the usb-drive (the goal).
> His box has no grub, but does have a BIOS that will try the usb-drive 1st.
> EXTLINUX (new in syslinux-3.00) finds the kernel and the initrd, and
> starts the boot.
> (it has an automatic menu-system too, with appendable boot-lines)

So it works then. What's the prob? YOu want #1 too?

> wrt recompiling, thats sufficient, but not necessary.
> I used mkinitrd --with=usb_storage to make an initrd with the necessary
> modules,
> copied that into where extlinux looks.
> Now the kernel loads them during boot (so that looks ok),
> but still fails shortly afterwards (so Im still missing something)

Hmm..

> heres the boot error, starting from the initrd module load:

> "   ext3.ko   "
> "   scsi_mod.ko   "
> SCSI subsystem initialized
> Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
> usbcor: registered new
> USB Mass Storage support registered.
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> mount: errort 2 mounting none

Is this a Typo??

> Switching to new root
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> umount /initrd/dev failed : 2
> Kernel panic -not syncing: attempted to kill init
>
> hangs..  CtlAltDel  doesnt clear it.  power cycling does.

Can you try to mount the initrd image via loopback and look at the
linuxrc file?? I know it can be done simply with mkinitrd, but I've gone
the manual part and hacked the linuxrc file.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz