Re: VDQ : can NetworkManager create a LAN?

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:10 -0500, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:26:47 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote in the
> developers' list (where I have no business even asking anything) :
>
> > Network Manager
> >
> >  http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/
>
> I went and looked at that site, and it sounds good; but it uses dbus and
> hal, neither of which I ever heard tell of, and I don't even have man
> entries for them -- not that I'd likely be able to grasp them if I had
> them. Otoh, it's clearly meant to be maximally user-friendly once it's on
> a system.

Both are included in FC3 (as services)

> So I have a Very Dumb Question : can NM by any chance be used to *create*
> a LAN?

No. The objective of NM is to provide an automatic switch on a laptop to
the best connection; Typically switching to wireless when the eth is
unplugged and switching back when a wired connection is available.

BTW, while not so indicated, NM is (IMO) experimental.

> I'm just a self-taught old fart with other priorities, but I'll soon have
> four or five machines running in this house (behind a router; one, maybe,
> completely isolated physically from the Net, which I suppose means no
> router either, and no admission to a LAN). It would be nice to be able to
> tell them to talk to one another -- share bookmarks, exchange files, use a
> common printserver, and so forth.
>
> At this point, afaict, setting the network up would have a learning curve
> I'm not ready to tackle. Someday, the hotshots (Bless their fertile
> brains!) will automate the setup process, to where the likes of me need do
> no more than at present with installation -- which has improved *vastly*
> from my point of view since RH 6.0, where I couldn't do it at all.
>
> The last place I asked (a LUG near me) didn't indicate that day had come
> yet -- so I'm still looking and hoping ....
>
> --
> Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
> Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!

Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
http://www.TQMcube.com