Re: up2date broke kdm

Felix Miata wrote:
Now that this works I'd still like to be able to fix KDM to allow root
login and to show Gnome as a session type. Oh, and now restoring the
original /etc/sysconfig/desktop from installation fails to switch back
to KDM. :-( I have to change it to DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE from the original
DESKTOP="KDE" to get back KDM. Where's the doc that lists valid values
for /etc/sysconfig/desktop? NAICT, /etc/X11/prefdm doesn't indicate
whether quotes are required around the specified value in desktop.

/etc/sysconfig/desktop is just a shell script that sets some variables, so it most cases it doesn't matter if you use quotes or not.

The DISPLAYMANAGER setting specifies whether you're using gdm or kdm etc. as the login manager.

The DESKTOP setting specifies the default session type to use for logins.

Paul.