Re: Belkin F5D6051 WLAN 11b USB card

The following is a write-up to make the Belkin F5D6051 WLAN 11b USB card work. However, it requires a kernel patch. I was told that no patch will be necessary with the 2.6.10 kernel.

"For posterity or anyone else dealing with this in the future:

Begin by making sure the device is unplugged, and leave it unplugged until directed below -

1) Goto linux-lc100020.sourceforge.net
2) Use CVS to get the most recent copy of the ZD1201 driver (not the wlan-ng that is on the main DL)
3) Get a 2.6.9 kernel
4) Patch the 2.6.9 kernel using the 2.6.8.1 diff file from the ZD1201 driver directory
5) Build the kernel
6) Deploy the kernel
7) Reboot
Cool Go to the directory with the ZD1201 driver
9) If you are using the Belkin, make sure that the zd1201.c file has a USB ID for the Belkin (latest one is supposed to)
10) run "make"
11) run "make install"
12) copy the zd1201.fw file to the directory your distribution uses for hotplug (/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware in many cases)
13) Reboot
14) Plug in the device
15) dmesg should show it was recognized and loaded
16) iwconfig and such to get things going"

http://linuxforums.org/forum/post-128830.html

Amy M wrote:

A friend of mine told me that the Belkin F5D6051 WLAN 11b USB card should now work with the 2.6.10 kernel.

Does any one have any first hand experience about this very exciting development?! Thanks a whole lot.

(I used to be a loyal Linksys customer, but recently it seems to be engaged in some kind of efforts to avoid Linux.)