Re: HP notebook wireless networking

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 08:27:51 -0700, James Mounts <james@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I'm about to order a hp amd64 notebook zv5000z series.  There are 2 choices
> >for wireless, but not much info on what the chipsets are.  Anyone know if
> >there is any problem with FC3 on this machine?
> >
> >Networking choices are:
> >
> >1) 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
> >2) 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
> >
> Neal: I'd vote against the Broadcom board. Broadcom refuses to create a
> Linux driver, so you're stuck with ndiswrapper to get it to go. I have
> one on a Windows laptop and it just doesn't work. Connectivity is spotty
> at best and it is a very balky board. I think you can expect trouble
> with Broadcom.
>
> The SpeedBooster sounds like a Linksys card. I've not used the one you
> listed, but I have had good luck with Linksys gear in the past. I
> couldn't find data on the chipset; maybe that's a question for HP's
> presales support folks.
>
> Erik
> >
> Neal: Do you know if that laptop uses MINIPCI technology?
> IF it does, then you are not stuck with those 2 choices. You would be able
> to get any MINIPCI wireless card available. Look into it, go to a local
> computer store, mainly CompUSA or Best Buy, and look at that model and see
> if there is the MINIPCI expansion bay ( on the bottom of the laptop ).
>
> I would then suggest getting an INTEL 2200BG pro 54MB MINIPCI card. Get it
> from DELL DIRECT for 35 bucks shipped ( as of 3 days ago ). I use this card,
> and finally got it working on FC3 and it works great.
>
> James

I'm afraid that swapping the MiniPCI card is still not an option.  I
have heard of people with a Compaq R3000Z (same computer, different
package), and the BIOS has a whitelist of MiniPCI cards that it can
use.  If you put in another card, the machine refuses to boot.  It
seems that there is some FCC regulation that requires this to ensure
that the wireless behaves properly, or at least that's HP's excuse.

Jonathan