Re: wep key??

Jim wrote:

> hi after installing the drivers for my wireless  and getting it to work
> i want to secure the connection.  i edit the network device and insert
> the wep key used
> i can't connect to my router anymore.
> should i use a different encryption ( yes i know that wep isn't as
> secure as others but for simplicity )
> any help would be appreciated.
> i would also like to connect to this AP everytime i boot up if i go to
> a different AP i would like to have a script or a different script i
> can choose .
>
> thanks

I'm not at my laptop, so this is from memory...

First off, try restarting your router...=)  If that doesn't work, check your
wep key, it should be in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and it should be in
a file that ends with .key or something like that (<wl profile>.key).  I
think the file is one line:
KEY=<some hex number>

The hex number shouldn't have the 0x prefix (I don't think).  The router
should report the key in plain hex to copy/paste.  I tried using a string
key, but couldn't get it to work, just using the plain hex worked for me.

Then its just a matter of ifdown <wl profile> then ifup <wl profile>.