RE: MAX_ARG_PAGES

On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 17:59 +0200, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> Hi Russell
>
> I have tried that, but I now get bash: xarg: Argument list too long.
>
> I am actually taking a directory of some 4000 image files, all about 11kb in
> size and using another program, writing them to an *.avi file.
> I then delete all the separate image files, where rm also complains with the
> same error.
>
> Any other sugestions?
>
> Where would be the best place to ask kernel questions?

russell - xargs is exactly what you want, i think.  but, you may not be
using it quite right.

in the directory where you want to delete the files, try this:
ls *.avi | xargs rm

ls will put out a list of the avi files on its standard out, which will
get sucked in by xargs.  xargs will then fill up a command line buffer
with those files and run rm on them.  and repeat the process until there
are no files left in it's standard input to give to rm.

thus rm will be run the minimum number of times necessary, with all but
the last command line buffer full.

john