Re: selecting default session with gdm

Andrew Choens wrote:
vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop

That will definitely work, but I prefer to use the simplest method possible which is:

1)  Start gnome-terminal and type....
2)  switchdesk xfce

You'll get some feedback from the system and it will tell you that
your default desktop has been changed to XFCE.  This will ONLY change
it for the user you are running it as.  So, on my system, a user
(let's say Tom) has done this.  Tom will load XFCE when he logs in
while everyone else continues to use GNOME.  In contrast, changing the
file in /etc will change the default login for everyone on your
system.

I don't know which you want to do.

I wanted to change it for all users (currently only two, me and my wife, but I hope that our 6-months old son will learn not to type rm -rf / as root soon enough, and than he'll get an account too ;-) ).

Anyhow, I attempted to change /etc/sysconfig/desktop, but I always got GNOME as default session. Maybe I did something stupid like forgetting to restart GDM or something. I'll play with it a bit more when I get home.

BTW, are values in /etc/sysconfig/desktop case sensitive? Should I have inthere something like "XFCE", or "xfce", or "XFCE4"?

Also, if you don't know vi, any editor will work.

(x)emacs would probably be an overkill for editing one-line file, so I guess I'll stick with vi for this job ;-)

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited