Re: HTTP not working

Andy Green wrote:
On Monday 03 January 2005 07:52, Eric Niebler wrote:

I've been running RedHat/Fedora since RH6.2, and I've *never* seen a
problem like this. I just clean-installed Fedora Core 3, and HTTP is not
working. I can ping websites, but I can't get to them via HTTP. I can
FTP just fine. And the strangest thing is, once in a blue moon, I can
actually get through (slooowly) to a website via HTTP, so it's only
/mostly/ broken. ??!!

This machine dual-boots with WinXP, and when it's running XP, it has no
problem getting to the internet via HTTP. So it's not the
cables/router/DSL modem or my ISP. Is this some strange overeager
firewall thing? How do I even begin diagnosing this problem?

I think you'll find it is an issue to do with later kernels and default settings for either ECN or TCP Window Scaling having changed. Normally this is fine, but some people have a broken router between them and where they are going.

If either

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

or

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

effect a magical cure then that was your problem: if so stick the cure in /etc/rc.local and away you go.

I'm sorry to report that this did not fix my problem. Setting tcp_window_scaling to 0 had no effect, and tcp_ecn was already 0.

I also tried stopping and restarting the network service after making the change, just to be sure. No luck.

Any other ideas?

Eric

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.298 / Virus Database: 265.6.7 - Release Date: 12/30/2004