Re: Linksys WMP11 Wireless PCI card

I have version 2.7 of the card.  I was using it in my
family's PC, but decided to buy a new Linksys card for
it.  I will try the ndiswrapper and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

Erwin wrote:

>I have a Linksys WMP11 wireless PCI card that I am
>trying to get to work with Fedora Core 2.  What steps
>do I need to take to get this card to work?  I have
>searched this list and found some hints, but no
>definitive answers as to if this card can work or
not.
> I have found that Fedora "sees" the card because it
>appears in /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig.

First you should check which version of the card you
have (as the
various versions have different chip sets and
therefore require
different drivers), then you can go to
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php
or
http://www.linuxant.com and check whether your version
of the card is
supported. I believe there is no open source
implementation of a driver
available for the WMP11. You may want to return it and
exchange it for
WMP54G Version 4 for which an open source driver is
being developed,
see: http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm and
http://rt2400.sourceforge.net .

Generally, before buying hardware for Linux it makes
sense to make sure
an open source driver exists as this causes the least
troubles getting
the hardware to work.

Best regards,

Erwin