Re: mplayer

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 18:58 -0500, Jim wrote:
> thank you all for the sugestions   the apt-get method seems to be pretty cool!
> why hasn't this been built into the fedora kernel as of yet??
>

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:32:26 +0100, Markus Huber
> <humarfedoralists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Jim wrote:

<snipped>

> --
> James Lawrence
> Rochester NY

I for one do NOT EVER want to have apt-get, yum, up2date, or any other
of the many update tools built into the kernel

Doing so would lead to a proprietary distribution and lock us into the
monopolistic view that M$ tries to tie us to.  It could lead to a
limited set of mirror sources, exactly the releases (someone) wanted us
to use, and no options to choose different tools or programs.

By not building it into the kernel we maintain the ability to choose our
tool and options to use with it. Whatever sources we want are available
and WE pick.

Remember, open source provides us free choice, not free as in no cost.
In this case the cost is being forced to learn and choose what we want.