Re: New monitor and I am getting no display (GUI)

Appeet wrote:
Thanks,
I used my FC3 install cd., went on linux rescue mode.
Issued the command "system-config-display --reconfig" -
It gave a message "Trying with card : Intel 810" after which my screen went blank and never returned.
What could I be doing wrong ? (I have another thread on this group where I am having issue with swap, can these 2 be related ?) - when i do top my total swap, available, used = 0!

*/Wayne Leutwyler <wayne-leutwyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Appeet wrote:
     > I had installed fedora fc3 on my desktop. Everything was working
    fine
     > until I connected a "New MONITOR".
     >
     > Once I installed my new monitor, I do not get any GUI. Only the
    shell
     > appears during startup and after that it is just the monitor
    power light
     > blinking (I know monitor is fine because on my dual boot things
    are well
     > on the XP side)
     >
     > So what do i need to do ? Do I need to probe my new monitor ? How
    can I
     > do it ?
     >
     > Graphics card : Intel 82810 display adapter
     > Monitor : Samsung Samtron 55V
     >
     > Thanks in advance.,

     > Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard
     > .

    login as root and issuse this command.

    system-config-display --reconfig

    Now you can reconfigure your new monitor.

-- Wayne Leutwyler - CNA, RHCT
http://linux.is-a-geek.net
Columbus, OH. USA

When you boot your system (without being in rescue mode) do you get dumped to a text log in prompt? If so log in as root and try the system-config-display --reconfig again. What are the results. If you are not able to see the screen when you boot this way then read below.

Another thing you can do is boot into run level 3 and by pass any X stuff. Do this by hitting the e key when the grub menu is up then edit the kernel line and add a 3 at the end of it. hit enter and then b when your ready to boot. Once here you can again try to reconfigure your display like above.

One thing that you can try would be to make a copy of the current xorg.conf and then delete the current xorg.conf, and try to run the system-config-display --reconfig again. Please remember to make a copy before you delete it.

--
Wayne Leutwyler - CNA, RHCT
http://linux.is-a-geek.net