trouble shooting Fedora Core 3 installation

I've just installed FC3 on my hard drive
It is incredibly slow and the graphics dont display correctly or refresh very well; some times not at all.
The only way I can see certain windows is to pass the mouse over the window to display the contents.
Some program options form the menu don't display at all particularly those related to system or preferences
Any help would be most appreciated
Steve