Re: if you have this kinda setup maybe you can help me:)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:20:08 +1100, zomorf <zomorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If you have this kinda setup and have a little patience in helping one,
> one would be greatful...
>
> I have 2 HD's 80g for xp and 40g for fedora... don't care which or will
> have fedora or xp so if it's easier too have fedora on hda and xp on hdb
> then so be it... But if anyone can help that'd be great... have tried
> almost every combination but for some reason can't get both too
> recognise one way or the other...
>
> Lata,
>      zomorf

Hi zomorf,
I recommend having the XP disk being the primary mastor (that is,
hda).  As Kristian said, it is probably good to have the Fedora disk
to be hdc, but it can also be hdb.  Since each will hold a seperate
operating system (neither of which can see the other (well Fedora can
see XP with a module)), I don't think it should matter.  Make sure you
have the jumpers set right.  Example: XP -> hda and FC -> hdc, both
drives should be set to master (or single if there is no CD (or DVD,
etc) drive connected.  XP -> hda FC -> hdb, hda should be set to
master (with slave, ie not single), and hdb as slave.  I would not
recommend using Cable Select (CS).  It can be confusing and if you
don't plan on moving the drives, I don't see the point.
Be sure to install XP first, as this will make things easier.  You can
do it the other way, but save yourself the trouble if you have a
choice.  Install GRUB to the MBR of the hda disk.
What trouble are you having?  Are these normal IDE disks or SATA?  If
nothing above works, give us some specific details and maybe we can
help further.

Jonathan