Re: Accessing hosted domains inside a LAN

> >Are you using named-based virtual hosts?
>
> Yes I have set up named-based virtual hosts in the Apache config file.
>
> >If so, you should set up a
> >split DNS in Bind 9 where internal hosts are given the internal IP
> >addresses of the servers, and external hosts are given the external
> >addresses.
>
> Linux-webhost-semi-newbie: Could you explain how/where to do that
> please?

>Sanity check first:
>Do you have a NAT gateway so you have to access the server with
>a different IP number from inside clients?

The server is static IP = 10.0.010 and is the only Linux machine, all others on the LAN are Windoze DHCP addressed. The router has a real-world static IP from my ISP. I have a NAT entry in the router to send all port 80 traffic to 10.0.0.10

>Try putting the
>inside number in an entry for the server name in /etc/hosts
>on a test client machine.

All clients are different flavors of Windoze, so no can do(?)

>If that works and you only have
>a small number of inside clients you can copy the hosts file
>around. If you have enough machines to make this impractical
>then you need to work with DNS. There is an alternative to
>views there as well unless you have to use the same DNS server
>for internal and external users.

The DNS server for all machines is the ISP's (at the moment)

>If they can be separate servers,
>just point the internal machines at a server that you configure
>as primary for the domain in question and loaded with the internal
>host addresses. You can maintain that with webmin if you don't
>want to edit the files directly.

---
Bob Brennan
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx