Re: How to Set Workspace in Session Startup of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird

On Thursday 30 December 2004 20:21, Schlaegel wrote:
> I want my session to include OpenOffice.org on one workspace, Firefox on
> another, and Thunderbird on yet another. Unfortunately, gnome-session
> says "these windows do not support 'save current setup'...". I was still
> able to add them to my session through the "Startup Programs" tab in
> gnome-session, but I see no way to specify the workspace to start in.
>
> Is there a way, with the programs included with Fedora Core 3, to start
> these applications on a specific workspace. I assumed there was a cli
> program to set the workspace, but found none.

Do you have the feeling of deja-vu?
It's been a while that this topic came up but basicly metacity (the gnome
window manager by default) requires apps to have working session management.
Allowing the app to mess around with that by starting apps on specific
desktops has been decided to be a bad idea (something many people disagree
with) and stuff that used to work with fvwm (-xrm "*Desk: 1" and the like) or
window binding ala sawfish have never been implemented.
See the discussion here:
https://listman.redhat.com/archives/limbo-list/2002-July/msg00171.html

Peter.