Re: APM support not found in Kernel ?

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:47:00 -0600, AdabalaP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<AdabalaP@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mine is a "Compaq Presario 1277" laptop, How can i determine if this
> requires a ACPI or APM to have the fan running ?
>
> Thanks.

I have a Compaq Presario R3000Z and it uses ACPI.  It sounds like
yours is older (?), though, so APM might work.  But, you should know
that ACPI can tell you stuff about your battery.  I don't know of
anything like the "apm -m" command that you talked about, but if you
use Gnome, try adding the battery status monitor to the panel.  If you
want to get at the raw data, look in the /proc/acpi/battery/
directory.  There should be a BAT0 or BAT1 directory with three files
in there.  This is assuming you have booted with ACPI enabled, that
is.  Check it out, it may have what you are looking for.  Specifically
the "state" file tells how many mAh are left in the battery and look
in "info" for the maximum capacity.

Jonathan