Re: Sendmail and DNS for two machines.

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:15:42 -0800,
  Don <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have sendmail and DNS working on one machine (ns.greatoasis.com) for
> accounts say x,y, and z.
>
> How do I set DNS to point the machine two (mpc.greatoasis.com) for accounts
> say a,b ,and c, so I can read it with a pop3 client.  I can read x, y, and
> z accounts, but I cannot read a, b, or c's account.

You can't do this with DNS. Sendmail can be configured to look up information
in an LDAP server and forward on non-local mail. However, for a small number
of accounts it would probably be easier to set up forwarding between the
machines.

People reading email using imap will need to use the domain name of the
the machine that will actually store their email, and not the generic name.
Though again it is possible to set up imap proxies (such as perdition)
that can look up where a person's email is really stored and connect to that
server on a user's behalf. This seems like overkill for just a few accounts.

Is there some reason you use two separate machines for email with just
a small number of users? Even if you want to split up shell access for
some reason, it might still make sense to keep all of the email on one
server.