Re: DHCP Server

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:11:13 -0800,
  Suzzanah Harker <suzzanah_harker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Again I just want to know and will not implement
> anything. A router in a LAN (with one server which
> runs FC3) automatically assigns IP address to each
> connected worskstation, so the router does all a DHCP
> should do. What is the solution to get rid of IP
> addresses for both servers and workstations in FC3 and
> use domain names such as aaa.bbb.net instead ? Should
> the server (FC3) be configured to be a DNS server or
> still DNS and DHCP server ?

Are these private IP addresses?

If they are public IP addresses, you can set up the IP address manually on
each machine and enter that IP address and the appropiate domain name in the
config file for the DNS server(s) that is authoratative for your domain.

If they are private IP addresses then you don't want to publish them on
a DNS server visible to the world. In that case you might set up a split
horizon configuration for your DNS server so that queries from your local
network get differents answers than queries from the public internet.

You still might be better off using DHCP. You can set at least some DHCP
servers up so that the mac address is permanently bound to an IP address.
This allows you to manage IP addresses centrally once you have collected
MAC address information.