Re: DHCP Server

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 11:11 -0800, Suzzanah Harker wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Again I just want to know and will not implement
> anything. A router in a LAN (with one server which
> runs FC3) automatically assigns IP address to each
> connected worskstation, so the router does all a DHCP
> should do. What is the solution to get rid of IP
> addresses for both servers and workstations in FC3 and
> use domain names such as aaa.bbb.net instead ? Should
> the server (FC3) be configured to be a DNS server or
> still DNS and DHCP server ?

You need a combination.  On Linux (ignoring the router for the moment)
you would have a linux server (192.168.0.1) handing out ip addresses (in
some range e.g. 192.168.0.[10-100]) via DHCP.  The DHCP server would
point clients to itself (192.168.0.1) as the BIND nameserver.  BIND
(named) would be running as a caching BIND server handing out IP
addresses it knows about and looking the rest up via a root BIND server.

The trick is to get dhcpd to talk to named and update ip addresses as
clients connect on the internal network.  Then named knows all internal
(192.168.0.x) addresses, and looks the rest up.

Some routers can handle this, some can't.  I had a LinkSys wireless hub
that did the DHCP part, but didn't store the addresses for later lookup
via local DNS.  Right now I have a nice wireless/DSL/router box that
does the DHCP/DNS correctly, no thought required.

--
Carl Nygard <cjnygard@xxxxxxxx>