Firewire vs. USB

I have an external hard drive with both USB and Firewire interfaces.
FC1 will recognize a firewire connection if I go through the
contortions of:
modprobe ohci1394
modprobe sbp2
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi
FC3 automatically sets up scsi emulation and finds the
partitions if I connect the drive via USB, but the machine
where I want to use it only has USB1 which is too slow.
With a firewire connection, FC3 seems to get as far as
making the disk device appear as /dev/sdc, but times out
on any access and never finds the partitions.  (The FC1
machine doesn't have any native scsi, the FC3 box does,
hence the /dev/sdc mapping).  Is firewire support still
broken in the current FC3 kernel or should I be able to
make this work?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx