Re: kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

On Thursday 30 Dec 2004 13:41, Srinivas G. wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I downloaded the Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9-1.667) ISO CDs from the
> following link.
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/
>
> I burn the CDs. I installed the Fedora Core 3 in an Intel Machine. It
> was working fine.
>

> Now I want to build the 2.6.6 kernel image. Then I downloaded the kernel
> tar file from the following link.
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.6.tar.gz
>

> After that I did the following steps.
>

> 1.    I copied the downloaded tar file to the /usr/src directory.
>
> 2.    I un tar the downloaded tar file.
>
> 3.    I changed the owner to ROOT by
>
>       #chown -R root:root /usr/src/linux-2.6.6
>

> After this I compiled the kernel by the following steps.
>

> 4.    #make menuconfig  -     to creating the config file
>
> 5.    #make clean
>
> 6.    #make bzImage
>

> Now I changed the EXTRAVERSION in Makefile
>

> 7.    #make modules
>
> 8.    #make modules_install
>
> 9.    #make install     -     this will copy the bzImage file to /boot
>
>                               directory and also updates the menu.list
>
>                               i.e. grub.conf file and copies System.map
> file etc.
>

> Every thing goes fine. After rebooting the system through this new
> kernel image I got the following error messages and system halted.
>

> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
>
> Enforcing mode requested but no policy loaded. Halting now.
>
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>

> I succeeded in building the new kernel image, but un succeeded in
> booting from the new image.
>
> I tried 2 to 3 times. I got the same error.
>

> What am I doing wrong here? Please advice me with right one.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Regards,
>
> Srinivas G

You originally installed FC3 off the CDs with SELinux disabled.  However, the
updated kernel is booting with the idea that SELinux is enabled.  Its then
falling over because when you didn't install the earlier version with SELinux
enabled, you didn't create any policy files.

boot with the old kernel, and make sure that NOWHERE is SELinux set to be
active.

TD