Re: Editing Dictionary

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:19:10PM +0100, Maciek R. wrote:

> somebody knows how to edit a dictionary which is used by 'Evolution
> Mail'. Accidentally I added a word to my spell checker that does not
> exist at all and I want to remove it.

As Edward posted evolution uses aspell by default.
Other spell tools are possible so these tricks might
be handy.

A more general self-help trick might be to use "strace" (hardish)
or "find" to discover what files are being used by an application.

I have been known to do this:

  $ touch /tmp/now

  $ evolution
      #add the name of an aunt, uncle or sillyword to the dictionary)

  $ find ~ -type f -newer /tmp/now
      #look for my addition in the new files by hand or perhaps
  $ find ~ -type f -newer /tmp/now -print0 | xargs -0 grep sillyword

The use of strace can be much more informative in the general case.
You will see the program look for configuration files hither and yon
and other nifty things.  If the -f flag is set you can discover and follow
subprograms (like aspell) and see much of what they do.

In this case.

  "aspell -?" will get you a help file.

For bad spallers like me it is good to know that
aspell keeps a log of things that it corrects.  Some days
I work on that list to improbe my typing and spelling.

Example check these files:
     $ ls  .aspell.*
     .aspell.conf           .aspell.english.pws  .aspell.en.pws
     .aspell.english.prepl  .aspell.en.prepl

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.