Re: Home Music Server software

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:43:17 -0500, Pepebuho <pepebuho@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I installed a FC3 system to work as my Home Music Server. It is replacing an
> old 100 CD Mega Changer that is quite full by now.
>
> The system uses the TV as monitor and I added a wireless keyboard and a
> wireless mouse to control it from afar.
>
> After some initial problems and Google lookups I had everything up and
> running reasonably well.
>
> My question is, What software is best to work as a multimedia center. I am
> not doing DVR stuff yet although I might in the future, but it is not a
> priority yet.
>
> I want to digitize my 100+ CDs into the hard disk,  play them back, and make
> it very easy to search the hard disk for music. I want it to be very easy
> to compile new playlists and save them.
>
> If it were up to me, Sound Juicer and Xine would fit the bill, but I am not
> the only user of the system. There are other, older, people at home who are
> not as computer-savy as me and I would like this to be their introduction to
> computing, maybe they will get more interested once they master one activity
> (creating playlists, playing their favorite music) with the computer to do
> more. :)
>
> Thanks for you recommendations.
>
> Javier Perez

MythTV (http://mythtv.org) is really nice for music, as well as the
DVR functions it's known for. And a good base of community-minded
users on the forums, etc. I used it for a while before my wife got fed
up with my tinkering and bought a $100 TiVo.

MythTV has a really nice, user-friendly interface that should please
almost anyone. If you are even considering DVR functions in future,
have a look at it. The hardest parts are setting up the TV-out and
getting the remote to work, which it sounds like you've already done.

--Matt