Re: nvidia drivers

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:48:07PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 29.12.2004 schrieb jason um 13:28:
>
> > im new to linux and need all the help i can get.
>
> Hello.
>
> > Ive got an amd 2000 and an nvidia geforce 4 440mx
> > which drivers do i need to install
> > and how do i install. havent got a clue ,
> > A STEP BY STEP GUIDE would be much appreciated.
>
> For the future I suggest you start yourself with at least a bit of self
> investigation.
>
> > jason
>
> If you don't need 3D acceleration you don't need to install. The graphics card
> will work with the X.org driver FC3 is coming with. If you need 3D speed
> improvements for some games you can install the NVidia closed source
> driver:
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia
>
> Maybe you experience problems with the latest driver and your card
> model. You then will have to use the pre-last driver and not the current
> one.
>
> Alexander
Although, Alexander always gives good advice I am not sure why the
above advice is given. I install Nvidia drivers by the following
seemingly simple method:
1. Go to www.nvidia.com and download the current driver installer with
a name like:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run
2. change or boot to int level 3.
3. Make NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run executable and execute it.
There will be several dialogs and finally the drivers will be
installed and the old drivers saved.
4. Comment out the nv driver line in xorg.conf and add a line calling
the nvidia driver.
5. execute init 5 to take you to init level 5.

One other thing if you ever want to uninstall these drivers execute:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --uninstall

	"What did you do when the ship sank?"
	"I grabbed a cake of soap and washed myself ashore."
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.