Re: setting the default printer application

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 01:59:13PM +0100, soraberri wrote:
> Each program installed in Fedora uses a different application for
> printing documents, but the printer I'm printing to is the same printer
> always. For example, from Konqueror the printer application lets me
> choose the layout (2-up, 4-up, etc...) in printer properties, but in
> gedit the print dialog is another different one, where I can only select
> the printer I use and the size of paper.
> Is this the normal way in Linux? Can I set a default printer driver for
> every program?

The problem is not really the printer driver - that is common no matter
what application prints to a specific printer.  It is the interface to
the print job submission that's causing you grief.

In theory, all KDE applications should use the same interface.  I
believe it's the same for all Gnome applications (but of course
different than the KDE inteface).  That's why a common desktop
environment is so important.  It's the print job submission that gets
you one day and it's the file requestor that annoys you the next day.
If you used kedit instead of gedit you'd probably find that the print
job submission interface is identical to that of Konqueror.

There are many times I wish that Red Hat would have scrapped their
support of Gnome and threw their resources at KDE instead (and yes, this
would definitely annoy all the people that prefer Gnome).  Choice is
good, but it comes at a price of consistency across applications.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA