Re: Mailserver system (postfix, sendmail or qmail ?)

Am Di, den 28.12.2004 schrieb Helena Carlsson um 4:50:

> I want to set up a mailserver on a FC3 system. I have
> no experience in working with any mailserver. So, I
> like to know:

Serious warning: having no experience nor even a real clue about running
mail services (the massive lack of knowledge is very obvious by your
questions) you shouldn't run a mail server system your own for different
users. To gather first experience and basic knowledge you should start
by only running a mail server (SMTP + POP3/IMAP) for your own private
purposes and even starting with a non important mail account where lost
mail messages are no problem.

> 1. FC3 comes with postfix mailserver. AFAIK it does
> not support POP3, but maybe it does. Besides, even the
> updated version via auomatic updater is not updated
> version in postfix web site. Automatic updater will
> update postfix to 1.x.x however the latest version is
> 2.x.x I don't know why. Anyway, do you recommend

That described behaviour regarding Postfix updating on FC3 can't be
true. There never was a Postfix 1.x version with any Fedora Core
release.

> postfix rather than sendmail and qmail ? I prefer
> qmail because of its complete resources on net.

Really wonder which "resources" of Sendmail or Postfix are missing on
the net? The souce code of both MTAs is available and plenty of
documentation too.

> 2. I have access to a registered web site and its

Please see my introducing warning above.

> 3. Does a mailserver manage both incoming and outgoing
> operations (SMTP and POP) on a system or they should
> be separated on two separated systems ?

For a small mail server system it would be no problem to run the MTA and
POP3/IMAP services on 1 host. Even a current normal PC hardware can
handle masses of daily mail without any problem.

> Helena

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 11:05:39 up 5 days, 12:49, load average: 0.13, 0.26, 0.19