How to reach a computer by hostname on a LAN?

Simple setup.  I have a router that assigns IP addresses by DHCP.  I have
two linux machines:  compa and compb which get their IP addresses using
DHCP with the router.  From compa, I want to be able to say "ping compb"
instead of having to use ifconfig on compb to figure out what its IP
address is, then ping it (i.e. "ping 192.168.1.3").

How is this possible?  Manually editing the /etc/hosts file doesn't work
because the IP addresses can change at boot (or whenever DHCP is used to
get a new address).

Thanks.