Re: Mailserver system (postfix, sendmail or qmail ?)

Helena,

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 04:50 +0100, Helena Carlsson wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to set up a mailserver on a FC3 system. I have
> no experience in working with any mailserver. So, I
> like to know:
>
> 1. FC3 comes with postfix mailserver. AFAIK it does
> not support POP3, but maybe it does. Besides, even the

POP3/IMAP is not a function of postfix, sendmail or similar programs. It
is a function of programs like dovecot (in FC2/3).

> updated version via auomatic updater is not updated
> version in postfix web site. Automatic updater will
> update postfix to 1.x.x however the latest version is
> 2.x.x I don't know why. Anyway, do you recommend
> postfix rather than sendmail and qmail ? I prefer
> qmail because of its complete resources on net.
>
> 2. I have access to a registered web site and its
> server system. Also, mail.xxx.com is available. But I
> would like to set up this mailserver to have
> pop.xxx.com and smtp.xxx.com and can be reached via
> mail programs such as thunderbird and also each person
> be able to check his email by typing mail.xxx.com in
> his browser. Do these mailservers (postfix, sendmail

To me able to have mail in a mail client as well as via a web browser,
you would set up an IMAP server on your server machine and let procmail
filter the messages into the users mail as they arrive.
You would then set up Squirrelmail so that your users can use mail
clinets residing on a client machine (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora,
etc.) as well as web browsers to log into Squirrelmail and read their
mail that way.

> and qmail) support it ? If yes, what about pop.xxx.com
> and smtp.xxx.com zones ? It will created by mailserver
> program ?

The mail server will not let you log in via pop - you need to configure
dovecot or similar program to do that.

> 3. Does a mailserver manage both incoming and outgoing
> operations (SMTP and POP) on a system or they should
> be separated on two separated systems ?

your MTA (Mail Transport Agent), postfix, sendmail or similar handles
all incoming and outgoing mail traffic to and from your server. There is
no harm in setting up 2 servers, one for people to send out mail from
their desktop machines and one to receive mail (listening on port 25 for
SMTP traffic) from other sources over the net. However, unless you have
an extremely high load, there is no reason to do so.

If all your clients have Linux/UNIX machines, they can use that
machine's MTA to send out mail but usually not to receive mail.

POP is not an outgoing or incoming mail protocol as such. POP is
basically used to let mail clients download mail messages from the mail
server.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Don't ask me nothin' about nothin' - I might just tell you the
truth ...