Re: Failed disk in Raid

Jim Cornette wrote:

Michael J. Pawlowsky wrote:

On one my home machines I run Software RAID 0 ever since I had set it up for a client of mine.
I figured it is good insurance.

Well it looks like last night it paid off.
I received a disk failed event.
My primary / partition has a block that is not writeable on /dev/hda

If this was a customer's machine I would say trash the disk and put in a new one.
Not worth the $ for the trouble it could cause.

But since this is my home machine, and my $ are a bit more precious to me, I was thinking of removing all the partitions from the raid and trying to fix it using chkdisk and then adding it back into the raid.

What do you think?

Mike

I don't think that chkdsk would do you any good for marking off the bad sector for use in a linux system. Also, the one bad block usually is a warning that the whole disk is on the way to total failure.

On computers that I had a totally corrupted filesystem and thought reinstalling the OS (M$ on these computers) the bad blocks did not show on the reformatted system. The disk did fail again within 6 months, so replacing the disk is probably you safest option.

If the disks that are failing are IBM/Hitachi I'd certainly get rid of the disks. Other vendors might not be as high of a risk.

Just my opinion. No technical research on my part.

Jim

Mike,

Don't know if you caught this but you said that you are running RAID 0. Just making sure that you know there is no redundacy with RAID 0. That raid level should only be used for speed.

-Nick
begin:vcard
fn:Nick Miller
n:Miller;Nick
org:Press Enter LLP;Hudson Office
adr:Suite B;;206 2nd Street;Hudson;Wisonsin;54016;United States
email;internet:nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:System Admin / Web Programmer
tel;work:715-377-0746
tel;cell:715-307-1179