How to scan for wifi hotspots?

Hi all,

How does one get online via public wireless access points in cafés and so on an ad hoc basis? My laptop is running Core 2; iwconfig and system-config-network recognize the wireless card, but I don't know how to obtain the SSID and so forth at a given location. Mac and Win users seem to have software which automatically detects a hotspot and brings up a connection; is anything with comparable functionality available for Linux?

KDE WiFi Manager looks like it might offer something along these lines, but the last Red Hat RPM is from April 2003 for RH8 and obviously doesn't install under Fedora. See: http://sourceforge.net/project/show...?group_id=52104
I tried compiling it from source but got error messages.

The GNOME Wireless Applet also looks promising but the project web page hasn't been updated for two years, so it looks like it is in deep hibernation: http://gwifiapplet.sourceforge.net/

Thanks your time.