Re: Newbie

On Thursday 23 December 2004 22:23, Mehdi Bouhalassa wrote:
>> [root@iq mehdi]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sdc /media/cdrecorder
>> mount: special device /dev/sdc does not exist
>
>Not working...
>
>   :-(
>
>It's so frustrating!  I really want to switch to Fedora, but what's
> the point if I keep going back to XP?

First, you are nameing the whole drive with the above, whhere normally
the partitions are named sdc1, sdc2 etc in the order they exist on
the drive.

Look in a file that is refreshed at every boot, called /var/log/dmesg.

Use the command line:

less /var/log/dmesg

 to see it, and scan down towards the end of the file looking for how
it recognized the drive.  If there are more than 1 partition on it,
these will show up as sda2, sda3 etc in addition to sda1.  A second
drive will be in the sdb series, etc etc.

You may have to do an 'insmod name_of_scsi_module' on the scsi driver,
in which case if successfull, those messages will show up right on
the console window you ran insmod from.  In any event, scsi support
will need to be added to the kernel by adding an alias in
the /etc/modprobe.conf file.  It should look  something like:

alias scsi your_adaptor_boards_driver_name

Getting started, when in an unfamiliar environment can be frustrating.
Hang in there.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)