Re: Home Music Server software

Pepebuho wrote:
Hi.

I installed a FC3 system to work as my Home Music Server. It is replacing an
old 100 CD Mega Changer that is quite full by now.

The system uses the TV as monitor and I added a wireless keyboard and a
wireless mouse to control it from afar.

After some initial problems and Google lookups I had everything up and
running reasonably well.

My question is, What software is best to work as a multimedia center. I am
not doing DVR stuff yet although I might in the future, but it is not a
priority yet.

I want to digitize my 100+ CDs into the hard disk, play them back, and make
it very easy to search the hard disk for music. I want it to be very easy to compile new playlists and save them.

If it were up to me, Sound Juicer and Xine would fit the bill, but I am not
the only user of the system. There are other, older, people at home who are
not as computer-savy as me and I would like this to be their introduction to
computing, maybe they will get more interested once they master one activity
(creating playlists, playing their favorite music) with the computer to do
more. :)

Thanks for you recommendations.

Javier Perez
Message sent using
Inter.net 2.7.2

http://www.videolan.org/
Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS!

--
Robin Laing