Fedora Core 3: /media/cdrecorder keeps dissappearing

Hello, Everyone
I am running Fedora Core 3, full installation (not an upgrade), all updates
installed.  I have been having this annoying problem with my USB2 external
CD-RW drive.  The first time it dissappeared, I ended up rebooting and when
the system was done rebooting, I had my CD-RW drive back.  This morning, I
checked to see if it was still there (this has happened a couple of times,
with no discernable cause.)  It was gone!  The last time I used the drive was
last night.  I went to bed, slept for a few hours, woke up and checked for
the drive and it was gone.  I do not have YUM set up to run automatically, so
there is no possible issue with updates causing this.  In fact, this has
happened multiple times over a period of a few weeks, and up until now I
thought that possibly something was causing it to dissappear on it's own.
Now, at the very lease, it sure looks like it (my CD-RW drive) is
dissappearing with no human cause.

Since it just silently dissappears, I have no idea where to start diagnosing
this.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Since eliminating Windows from our
home system, I have developed a love for not rebooting, so rebooting to get
my CD-RW drive back is undesired :)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steven P. Ulrick