Re: Custom Linux

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 06:27:51PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer, but I *strongly* doubt that these further claims of the
> RH trademark policy are enforceable. Trademark fair use allows one to use
> trademarked terms descriptively, and if something is indeed based on
> Fedora Core, you can say so.

In fact, I just looked at Red Hat's policy again, and while I remember it
making the claim that you couldn't say "based on", it actually doesn't
anymore (if it ever did; my memory could be faulty). It does still say that
you can't say something "contains Fedora", which is a lot more reasonable.
Even without -- or, especially without, as the case may be -- getting
lawyers involved, I'm perfectly happy to avoid saying that.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>