New LCD display - need to change video "Refresh Rate" for every user?

Folks,

I just moved from a CRT display (apparently with a Refresh Rate of 85Hz)
to a Princeton SENergy 714 LCD (which apparently supports a maximum
Refresh Rate of 75Hz).

When I made the move, I immediately saw the problem (Linux FC3 video
trying to refresh at 85Hz, but that was not acceptable to new LCD,
therefore no display.) So I reconnect the CRT, logged in as one of the
users, and changed the Linux FC3 video refresh rate from 85Hz to 75Hz. I
then reconnected the new LCD and everything worked fine for the userid
for which I made the change.

However, when I logout of that userid, the Linux video drivers revert to
a Refresh Rate of 85Hz and I loose the display.

By the way, the video is on the motherboard and it supports AGP Rev 2.0
(if that means anything relative to this problem), and I cannot find any
BIOS settings that determine video Refresh Rate.

So what's going on here? Must I change the Refresh Rate for root and all
other users? Is there any way to do it one for all users for all
eternity (i.e., I don't want it to revert back to 85Hz at any time.)

Thanks . . .

Bob St. John