Re: make xconfig

Hi Malcolm,
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:37:13 +0000, Malcolm Candlish
<bm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I should have mentioed in my first mail that I am using Fedora Core 3
> x86_64. -apologies!

Very cool, but shouldn't make a difference.

> In struggling to build a new kernel I am unable to raise 'make
> xconfig'.In view of this (or without view), could any one advise on the
> required programs to install to enable this to work.

Try "make gconfig" instead.  xconfig failed for me too on a dependency
for Qt, I think.  gconfig worked just fine.

> Can I assume that having used 'make xconfig', I exchange this file for
> the kernel in the boot file; they are the same version kernels so assume
> this should do it ?

I do not suggest this.  What if you make a little mistake and your new
kernel won't boot?  It's a lot easier if you leave at least one kernel
that you know works.  You should change the kernel version slightly.
Edit the "Makefile" and change the "EXTRAVERSION" line to something to
indicate your custom kernel.  See
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html for a good
tutorial on compiling a kernel (be sure to follow the instructions for
a 2.6 kernel).  Though, instead of using a kernel.org kernel, use the
Fedora src.rpm.

> With thanks.
>
> Malcolm Candlish.

Jonathan