Where to go with FC3 and ACPI?

Okay, I am thoroughly confused.  I have been reading everything I can
about FC3, ACPI, and kernels for days now.  I do not know how to
proceed.

I am running FC2 with kernel 2.6.5-1.358 and have not had any
problems.  I want FC3 and the latest kernel, however when I upgrade my
kernel, even on FC2, I can no longer boot.  It appears to be caused by
ACPI.  And, what's worse is that, if I disable ACPI at boot, then I
cannot get my NIC working at all (using a Linksys WPC54G with
Linuxant's DriverLoader).  Worse again, everything that I find
regarding ACPI simply says that there are "known problems" with
various items (such as PCMCIA NICs, etc.) but nothing mentions a fix
or exactly what the problem is.

Everything I have read has pointed out that there are differences
between the version of the kernel I have the latest and greatest
kernel.  Unfortunately, I cannot find anyone, or anything, that can
tell me specifically what the differences are (i.e., they enabled ACPI
and removed APM, etc.).  I have read the changelogs at kernel.org but,
truthfully, I do not understand enough about the kernel to benefit
from them.

I guess, at this point, I'm looking for some guru to tell me where to
go next.  I've just read so information that I am basically confusing
myself.

Now, the questions...

Should I manually recompile my kernel, with something like 2.6.9, and
disable, or enable, certain options (like ACPI and APM)?  If so, is
there any place to get a list of how things should be setup?  I have
read a ton of pages explaining HOW to compile the kernel, but nothing
details the settings.

And, as far as ACPI vs APM, was ACPI not even in 2.6.5-1.358?  From
what I've read, APM and ACPI don't exactly do the same thing, so I
don't see how I could essentially "go back" to APM.  And, even if I
do, isn't APM going bye bye?

Like I said, I'm just confused.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,
Ryan