Re: kernel dependency?

hi

> Jonathan Berry wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:54:04 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay
<balay@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jim wrote:

i want to remove the latst kernel installed,  cause when i di updates
things got a bit out of hand.   (something to do with a second HD)
so i opened the terminal and did this...

[jim@My_World ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@My_World ~]# rpm -q kernel
kernel-2.6.9-1.667
kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
[root@My_World ~]# rpm -e kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
error: Failed dependencies:
       kernel = 2.6.6-1.435 is needed by (installed)
kernel-ntfs-2.6.6-1.435.i6 86
[root@My_World ~]#

why would such a old kernel still be installed?

Wierd... what do you get for the following?

rpm -qa kernel\*
rpm -q --requires kernel-ntfs\*
yum remove kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3

Satish

Yes, do try those.  It looks like a left-over ntfs module RPM from FC2
has RPM confused.  Then do:
yum install kernel-2.6.9-1.681_FC3
I assume this will work.  If not, then you can always do it manually
with rpm.  Yum normally saves rpm files to /var/cache/yum/
For future reference, I think it's always better to do a fresh
install.  Make your /home directory a seperate partition and then you
can easily keep your data.  And back up your /root and /etc
directories, especially if you have changed configuration files a lot.

For kernelpackage removal Thomas Chung has a good, working recipe on: <http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/yum-remove/>

-- good luck

peter