FC3: Unable to log into newly created users?

Did FC3 change so much that I really missed the boat? :-)

I discovered to my dismay after installing my new FC3
OS along with the updates in the last few days that when
I got around to create a normal account (non-root), I find
that no matter how I tried, I am unable to log in! I can log
in as root, update the password, delete and recreate the
account,  there is no possible way to log in!  I even tried
as root, the "su - myaccount" and even THAT fails with a
"su: incorrect password"!

I have created several other users, using the gui interface
and useradd  and the results are the same!  What is going on!?

I am only able to log into FC3 as root!

Can someone shed some light on this for me please?

~Dan