Re: Linux Word Processors

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:56 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> > Okay, I am beginning to see just how many apps out there are
> > classified as word processors.  So, allow me to get a bit more
> > specific...
> >
> > 1. The editor must be WYSIWYG;
> >
> > 2. It must be able to import to, and export from, Microsoft Word
> > format without any difficulties; and,
>
> I will state that this won't ever happen unless all users are using
> the same version with the same installation configuration.  I hear the
> screams as people that are working on collaborations get work back
> that doesn't look like the copy previously worked on.  More hours lost
> re-formatting.

I think the *unreasonable* goal here is that it must interface with the
proprietary format word documents, "without difficulty" and we all know
that M$ changes the format regularly to prevent that.

Thus an unreachable goal and a better plan would be to go to a
standardized format that is not dependent upon the whims of M$. One that
many editors can use easily and without the stress of trying to reverse
engineer a format that is deliberately closed.

> > 3. It must have strong formatting abilities.  For example, when I
> > mentioned "intelligent bulleting," I was referring to the ability to
> > hit <TAB> and have the editor indent a paragraph and renumber the
> > paragraph with the next appropriate hierarchy (i.e., I, A, 1, i, a,
> > etc.).  OpenOffice and StarOffice attempt to do this, but they fail
> > after the second level.
>
>  From what I have heard.  Word is just awful for formatting the "Way
> you want it" and from my limited experience it is.  As stated above,
> Word will convert and change whole documents formatting if you make
> one little change.  Worse, it won't always undo cleanly.  I have
> converted some scientists over to OpenOffice on Windows to overcome
> this problem.

I have had similar experiences.