Re: Modem Help?

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:18:24AM -0500, Shane Presley wrote:
> Can anyone point me to any documents or sites that might help me setup
> a modem?  Never used a modem under linux.
>
> I have an external/serial US Robotics 28.8 Fax Modem.  I'd like to use
> it with QPAGE for paging, but don't know how to install/configure/etc.

Under Applications-> System Settings there is RedHat Network
Configuration. This will allow you to set up a modem and create the
appropriate /etc/sysconfig files, as well as a wvdial.conf file.

Then if you name your connections joe you start it with ifup joe and
stop it with ifdown joe.

To aid in this starting and stopping of the connection place a applet
called modem lights on your lower panel. Left clicking on it will
allow you to connect and disconnect  and right clicking on it will allow
you to set the preferences.

This is all for FC3 but the RedHat Network Configuration and modem
lights exist in all fedoras.

Try it and ask if more questions arise.

Without followers, evil cannot spread.
		-- Spock, "And The Children Shall Lead", stardate 5029.5
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.