Re: graphic driver NVIDIA

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:45:58 -0200, Marcos-Fedora Brazil
<marcos-fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I try to install NVIDIA driver (
> VIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run   ) on FC3-681smp I get a message saying
> the kernel has built in a support for rivafb, and it may cause conflict, but

You can ignore this error.  The rivafb module will never be loaded and
so will not cause a conflict.

> the driver install as well... I change to nvidia in xorg.conf, and works
> fine, so when I restart my system I get a message from X , saying error in
> graphic driver and it restore the old config, using nv driver...
> my graphic card is NVIDIA GEFORCE4 MX440 64MB DDR
>
> What can I do to resolve this?

Hi Marcos,
See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/ for the detail (down at the
bottom).  The quick answer is reinstall the nVidia driver (perhaps not
needed) then issue the commands:
modprobe nvidia
cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
You will need to be root to do this, of course.  Then reboot, making
sure your xorg.conf is correct, and that should fix it.  If not, then
you have more problems, but since it worked until reboot, then I think
this is it.

> Thank's
>
> Marcos

Jonathan