Re: Problem setting up printer on FC3

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:48:56PM +0000, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:05:54 +0000, Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 10:28:19PM +0000, Adam Mercer wrote:
> >
> > > Just installed FC3 and I am having some problems setting up my
> > > printer, a Lexmark Optra E312. On running system-config-printer, I
> > > click on New, a little box pops up saying "Loading Printer Information
> > > Please Wait..." and then disappears.  Then the egg timer mouse cursors
> > > just sits there and the setup program does nothing.
> > >
> > > Running system-config-printer from the command line I get the following error
> > >
> > > [ram@skymoo ~]$ system-config-printer
> > > sh: line 1:  5375 Segmentation fault      perl -e
> > > 'ioctl(STDIN,0x84005001,$result);print $result' 2>/dev/null
> > > </dev/usb/lp0
> >
> > What does 'dmesg' show?  Looks like the kernel oopsed to me.
>
> Hi
>
> This is going back about a month, but I've started having the same
> problem again.
>
> When I get the error from system-config-printer, the only messages in
> dmesg are regarding hits from my firewall.
>
> Any idea where else to look?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

Being simple minded I would try to run printconf-tui (if that still
exists in FC3) and see what happens.

Most people exhibit what political scientists call "the conservatism of the
peasantry."  Don't lose what you've got.  Don't change.  Don't take a chance,
because you might end up starving to death.  Play it safe.  Buy just as much
as you need.  Don't waste time.

When  we think about risk, human beings and corporations realize in their
heads that risks are necessary to grow, to survive.  But when it comes down
to keeping good people when the crunch comes, or investing money in
something untried, only the brave reach deep into their pockets and play
the game as it must be played.

- David Lammers, "Yakitori", Electronic Engineering Times, January 18, 1988
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.