Re: Linux Word Processors

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 14:53 -0500, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> 2. It must be able to import to, and export from, Microsoft Word
> format without any difficulties; and,

That isn't even possible between different versions of Microsoft Word.

> 3. It must have strong formatting abilities.  For example, when I
> mentioned "intelligent bulleting," I was referring to the ability to
> hit <TAB> and have the editor indent a paragraph and renumber the
> paragraph with the next appropriate hierarchy (i.e., I, A, 1, i, a,
> etc.).  OpenOffice and StarOffice attempt to do this, but they fail
> after the second level.

It works quite well for me in Star Office 7.  In OO/SO you do have to
specify which style of list you are creating.  (Right click the list and
select Numbering/Bullets)  It seems like your complaint may be better
phrased "OO/SO default list numbering isn't identical to Microsoft
Word."

> Simply put, I need something where I can compose a professional
> document, with as much ease as possible, and then hand that file to a
> printer for mass publication without any retooling of the document to
> make it pretty.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "professional document" and
"mass publication" in this context.  In my dealings with professional
print press companies several have commented that they quietly curse,
and add a hefty conversion fee, when someone sends them any sort of
Microsoft document to print.  When I ask the printer "What document
format would be ideal for you?" the answer is a very consistent "A 4-
color PDF of at least 300 dpi would be perfect."

Word processors are nice for typing up the content and spell checking
but they create lousy looking print press documents.  Word Processors
don't do kerning, line spacing, they don't mask unprinted portions of
the document, they don't support 4-color printing, no color-correction,
etc.  This is why you keep getting answers like "You want to use
Docbook, LaTeX, LyX, etc."

With that in mind, and the desire to use a WYSIWYG program, this last
book I composed entirely using Scribus.  I exported the finished book as
PDF at 300 dpi.  The approval process for the printer is normally a very
firm 6 business days (i.e. next week).  The PDF was submitted Tuesday
and the books were packed in boxes ready for distribution on Friday
evening.

> I want to be able to write, and have the editor
> handle formatting correctly and cosmetically, so my concentration can
> remain on the subject matter.

So, you want a template with a default style that emulates Microsoft
Word.  Seems like it would be possible, perhaps even easy, but I'm
unaware of any.

> So, while I appreciate all of the recommendations thus far, is there
> anything out there, besides OpenOffice and Star Office, that will do
> this on Linux?  Again, no CrossOver or Wine; something that can run
> natively in Linux, please.

From rom your description, it sounds like you want Microsoft Word to run
natively on Linux.

--