Re: General Samba Question

Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:

[snip]

Are you sure all your usernames and passwords are the same for each machine?

Karen
http://scootgirl.com/

The usernames and passwords are the same on the windows machines.
I am now able to log onto the linux share from windows but can't see the
other computers from Nautilus.
When opening "Network" in "Computer" I get the error:
"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for Nautilus. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.
Type mismatch: Expected `string' got `int' for key /system/smb/workgroup"

Your smb.conf file looks fine. The only differences I can see between yours and mine are that I don't have the "winbind enable local accounts = no" in mine, and you don't have the "os level = 33" in yours.

I just tried what you did with nautilus (Places => Computer => Network, (get a pause and rotating hour glass, then get a 'Windows Network' icon)). When I double-click the Windows Network icon, I get an icon with my workgroup name. Double-clicking on that, I only saw my linux box on the first 2 tries. On the third try, I could see another linux box running samba, and a Windows machine. I was not able to access the share on the Windows machine. Even though I am running nautilus from the same username as on my Windows machine, access is denied.

Try running this from a terminal window:

smbclient -U username_on_the_windows_machine -L hostname_of_windows_machine

It should ask you for the user password on the windows machine. You should then see the available shares.

If you have a firewall running on the windows machine, make sure the linux machine is among the trusted hosts. You might also want to add the linux box's IP address to the hosts file on the windows machines (c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).